Dental fillings is a procedure used to restore cracked or broken tooth or teeth back to its normal shape and make it function normally. This usually occurs when the affected tooth/teeth have decayed or are broken due to misuse or have been worn out.
Learn more about dental fillings below and contact our team today!
Reasons for Dental Fillings
Dental fillings are recommended to restore the shape and strength of the affected tooth. The procedure prevents further damage, decay, and loss of the tooth. Dental fillings can also be used in the following instances.
- Restore decayed or worn out teeth.
- Repair tooth that has broken where the enamel has cracked exposing the tooth to bacteria that may cause decay or infections.
- To fill holes formed in the enamel due to tooth decay but have not spread to the teeth’s inner pulp where the nerves and blood vessels are located.
Types of Dental Fillings
Composite fillings are made of a mixture of plastic and fine glass particles. They are usually made to match the color of the existing teeth making them suitable for use for the front or visible teeth. They also help support the tooth as they are chemically bonded with the teeth and can be used to repair worn out, chipped or broken teeth.
These are the most common and widely used type of dental fillings. They are popular due to the fact that it is strong, durable and affordable. In fact, they can last for more than 10 years. It is also less likely to become contaminated by blood or saliva.
The disadvantages of amalgam fillings are that they usually do not match the color of the teeth and can darken over time. In fact, many patients correct old amalgam fillings with composite resin to improve the look of their smile.
These are among the least preferred types of fillings by dentists due to the fact that they are expensive. However, the gold fillings are very durable and can last for several years.
- Guards the remaining tooth structure against more damage.
- Dental fillings are very durable as they can last for up to 15 years or even longer. Modern-day fillings are highly impervious to corrosion and can protect your tooth for a considerable period of time.
- Help to improve tooth functionality such as making chewing less painful and difficult.
- Blends in perfectly with the rest of the teeth hence they are best for those who are mostly concerned with aesthetics.
- Dental fillings can help strengthen a tooth with a weakened structure.
Protecting your teeth from decay is essential. It helps maintain your dental health. Learn more by scheduling a consultation with Quincy High Care Dentistry. Our friendly team would be delighted to assist. Call 617-405-4524 or request an appointment online.